Table of content
Your hair is the crown that you never take off, but you can always add a little bit of glam factor with the help of hair extensions. If you love long hair but can’t wait for them to grow till your desired length, then hair extensions are going to be your best friend. Adding hair extensions is an amazing way to alter the length and style of your hair without damaging your natural locks. As the hair trends keep changing every now and then, a lot of fashion and beauty enthusiasts prefer using hair extensions to keep up with the fast changing trends. The market is flooded with several different kinds of hair extensions that you can try out to change your look instantly. In this article, we are particularly going to talk about fusion hair extensions. If you want to get your hands fusion hair extensions, then here is a guide to everything that you need to know about these fuss-free hair extensions.
What Are Fusion Hair Extensions?
The fusion hair extensions are one of the oldest, tried, and tested forms of hair extensions that have been used by ancient Egyptians. Cleopatra, the Egyptian beauty queen, loved wearing wigs and fusion hair extensions to change her looks. Fusion hair extensions come in the form of strands rather than wefts which is a bit tricky to attach. Each strand is attached to the root of your hair with the help of keratin or polyurethane glue bonds. They are also known as “Keratin Extensions” or “Glue-in Extensions” because of their application method. The keratin or PU bond is heated up using hot extension tool that helps the strands to combine with your natural hair. The strands are so closely attached that they have little to no space for movement which makes them last really long.
Fusion hair extensions also come with copper tubes attached to the roots through which your natural hair is weaved and then the tube is pressed closed with the help of plyers. Metal needle and hooks are required to pull the strands out of the metal tubes for ultimate precision.
How to Put in Fusion Hair Extensions?
Fusion hair extensions are attached one by one to the roots of your hair using professional tools like the hair extension needle and hook or the heat hair extension tool. It is better to get your fusion hair extensions installed by an expert stylist rather than doing it yourself. The number of strands that will be attached to your natural hair will depend on the thickness, length, and the required hairstyle. Here are the steps that your stylist will follow to install fusion hair extensions in your hair:
- Brush out your hair thoroughly so there are no knots left in your hair especially at the roots. Take out the hair extensions and run a brush through them to make sure they are not tangled. The tip of the hair extension strand will either have a square tip made up of keratin bond or a metal tube. Your stylist will take a small portion of your hair, usually the size of hair extensions and put them together.
- If the extension strand has keratin or polyurethane bond on the top, then the stylist will use a heating tool the met the top into your hair fixating the hair extensions in place. If your fusion hair extensions have a metal, cylindrical tube at the tip, the stylist will pull that a stand of your natural hair trough that tube and secure it down with the help of plyers.
- When styling your hair while using a heating tool on your fusion hair extensions, the stylist will shape the keratin with fingers around your hair. The soft, melted keratin is easily moldable and sits according to the shape and type of your hair. When the keratin dries, it becomes hard and solid which makes the fusion strong and reliable. This technique ensures longer lasting hair extensions with a natural looking result.
- The hair stylist repeats this procedure row by row to fuse hair extensions with your natural hair. The procedure usually starts from the base of the head while the stylist works up towards the crown of the head. The hair on the top of the rows conceals the extensions making it appear natural and effortless.
- Fusion hair extensions are removed using the keratin bond removing the solution. This solution is alcohol based which the stylist applied to the roots of the hair extensions. This way the bonds loosen up and leave the natural hair. The metal tips of hair extensions are removed using a metal cuter with extreme precision that is designed for hair extensions.
Care Instructions for Fusion Hair Extensions
If you decide to go for the fusion hair extensions, there are a few things that you need to be careful about, if you want your extensions to last longer in your hair. With even a little bit of carelessness, you can majorly damage your natural hair and your hair extensions. Follow these simple and easy rules to elongate the life of your hair extensions and keep them looking fresh and polished for a long time.
#1 Follow The Washing Schedule Given by Your Stylist:
Even though these hair extensions are the most long lasting out of all, you need to follow strict instructions given by your stylist to make them last longer. Do not wash your hair for 48 hours at least after getting your hair extensions installed.
#2 Use an Extension Brush for Detangling Your Hair:
This might seem a bit extra but you will have to use extension brush to detangle your hair without damaging your hair extensions. These brushes have soft, looped bristles that do not get entangled with the hair extensions.
#3 Do Not Wash Your Hair Daily:
If you have fusion hair extensions on, then washing your hair daily is not a good idea. Shampooing daily can loosen up the keratin bond or the metal tubes, resulting in damaging your hairstyle and even the roots of your hair. Wash your hair after 2 days for maximum longevity of your hair extensions.
#4 Invest in Good Quality Haircare Products:
Get your hands on high-quality shampoo and conditioner to prevent your hair extensions from drying. Your hair care products play a major role in the way your hair and hair extensions look. Use products that are specifically designed to be used with fusion hair extensions.
#5 Always Use a Heat Protectant While Using Hot Styling Tools:
Using a good quality thermal protection spray on your hair and roots is important before using heat on your hair especially if you have fusion hair extensions on. Do not forget that the tips of these hair extensions are attached by heating and reheating that bond can make them lose connection easily.
#6 Sleep On a Satin Pillow Case:
According to the renowned hairstylists of the world, sleeping on a satin pillowcase is the best thing that you can do for your hair. Especially, if you have fusion hair extensions, a satin pillowcase is your best pal. It will prevent your hair from getting tangled and your roots from being matted.
#7 Avoid Salt or Chlorine Water:
Salt water and chlorine can damage your hair extensions especially the bonds which will make the strands come off at any time. If you plan on swimming or decide to have a trip to the beach, do not forget to put your swimming cap on.
#8 Do Not Fall Asleep On Wet Hair Extensions:
Sleeping on wet hair extensions I not only damaging for your fusion hair extensions but also for the roots of your hair. Make sure your hair and the bonds of your hair extensions are completely dry before you get in bed to sleep.
#9 Air Dry Your Hair as Much as You Can:
Air drying your hair is the ideal option to go for if you have hair extensions on. Heat from the blow dryer can melt or damage your bonds and result in loosening up the hair extensions. Let your hair air dry after a shower to avoid any damage.
#10 Strictly Follow the Aftercare Instructions:
Follow all the instructions that mentioned here or by your hairstylists to keep your hair extensions looking beautiful, fresh, and natural. If your stylist recommends certain products and techniques to keep your extensions in the best shape, then use them right according to the instructions for the best results.
These rules are simple and easy but they will definitely add extra life to your hair extensions.
How Long Do the Fusion Hair Extensions Last?
Fusion hair extensions are attached to small sections of your hair with heating or weaving tools. There are two types of fusion hair extensions, hot fusion extensions, and cold fusion extensions, and both of them are considered semi-permanent hair extensions because of their durability and longevity. The fusion hair extensions can last up to 3 to 5 months and can stay in longer if you follow the instructions and take proper care of it. These extensions look, feel, and move like your natural hair growing from your roots which means you do not have to get them changed frequently. As most of the fusion hair extensions are made up of natural hair, they last longer and stay in a very good condition. However, with hair growth, your bonds or links will move downwards which require a few touch-ups and trimming to maintain your hair look.
Average Cost of Fusion Hair Extensions
Out of all the kinds of hair extensions available in the market, the fusion hair extensions are the most expensive ones. As they are made up of natural, human hair they automatically cost more, and when combined with the application charges by a professional stylist, these hair extensions can be quite heavy on the pocket. However, their longevity can easily make up for the hefty price tag, people still shy away from getting fusion hair extensions because of the high cost. The hair extensions alone can cost around $200 and with the installation, it will be no less than $500 to $600. Touch ups might also cost you a few more dollars but those won’t be pretty heavy as getting the extensions in the first place. The amount can vary depending upon the type of your hair, your desired hairstyle, and the number of strands going in your hair.
Pros and Cons of Fusion Hair Extensions
Fusion hair extensions are being used since ages but there are some pros and cons attached to them.
- Fusion hair extensions last for a really long period of time.
- It is the most tried, tested, and recommended a way of getting hair extensions by the stylists.
- Fusion hair extensions are perfect for coarse and natural hair types.
- These are the most durable hair extensions that you can easily rely on.
- They give a very natural looking result.
- These hair extensions are made up of natural hair which can blend perfectly with your hair.
- These hair extensions can weigh your hair and roots down.
- Fusion hair extensions are quite expensive
- You can only get them applied with the help of a professional stylist unless you yourself are a hair expert.
- The removal of fusion hair extensions is equally as a lengthy procedure as its application.
- Fusion hair extensions are not reusable.
- Heat applied on the roots while the application can damage the wearer’s hair.
Fusion hair extensions reviews
Whenever buying fusion hair extensions online, be sure to buy from reputable brands. It’s easy to end up with bad hair extensions! Read fusion extensions reviews.
If you want to change the look of your hair for a longer period of time without making a permanent commitment to any hairstyle, then fusion hair extensions are the ones for you. With the right kind of hair extensions, professional application, and recommended care instructions, you will be able to sport these semi-permanent hair extensions with ease and make a statement with your hair.